News

Bristol flying school business comes in to land at new headquarters

Share Article

Written by:   | Posted 16-October-2014 11:17

Bristol flying school business comes in to land at new headquarters

One of the oldest flying clubs in the Bristol area is celebrating after finally moving into a brand new purpose built headquarters.

The Bristol Flying School has been in talks with Bristol Airport and has moved into its new headquarters at the south side of the airport.

The new building will be home to the 200 members of the Bristol and Wessex Aeroplane Club and its sister organisation the Aeros Flight Training School.

A spokesman for the club said: “I think this is one of the most important dates in the history of the flying club. We have been operating out of mobile offices and we are finally getting a permanent home.

“This would not have been possible without the help and support of Bristol Airport. This is a very exciting moment for everyone involved.”

Barry Bailey, the owner of Bristol Flying School and the Bristol and Wessex Aeroplane Club added that since the purchase of Bristol and Wessex Aeroplane Club in 2009 the organisations has been working hard with the airport to find a permanent home.

He added: “The club has an unmatched history in the Bristol area dating back to 1927 and with the construction of the Bristol Flying School the future remains set to meet the original club aim; to promote civil flying in Bristol and the surrounding area.”

(Bristol Flying School was based at the airfield in the 1930s. The aircraft is a de Havilland Tiger Moth.)

The Aeros flight training school has been looking for home following the closure of Filton Airfield at the end of 2011.

Aeros managing director Nick Dunn said: “We are delighted to be coming back to Bristol and teaming up with Bristol and Wessex on this exciting development.

“This is the second flight training centre that we will have opened this year, taking the group to seven training centres overall.

“This development fits well with Aeros growth strategy of opening centres in all the major UK conurbations.

“We currently have training centres at Gloucester, Cardiff, Stratford-upon-Avon, Coventry and Nottingham and our new site at Cranfield which opened in February.

“Bristol Lulsgate is an ideal location for the development of aviation for the area. We would welcome anyone interested in becoming a pilot to come along to the open day, attend some of our seminars and find out exactly what is involved.”

Building work on the new centre took place throughout the summer and the centre is now fully operational.

The Bristol Flying School is made up of Bristol & Wessex Aeroplane Club and Aeros Flight Training will offer flight training for the whole range of aviation licences and ratings.


The Bristol & Wessex Aeroplane Club
The Bristol & Wessex Aeroplane Club can trace its origins to a public meeting held in the Victoria Rooms on 7th April 1927.
Flying began on 28th July 1927 at Bristol Filton with a newly acquired D.H. Cirrus Moth G-EBSN.
Bristol & Wessex Aeroplane Club moved into new accommodation in the main terminal building at Lulsgate on 13th April 1957 and the club have been on the airfield since then.
The club operates seven aircraft including a core training fleet of three Piper Cherokees and self-fly hire aircraft including a Cessna C172, a Cessna C182, a Diamond DA 40 and a Piper Seneca PA34 twin.
The club has nine instructors both male and female working part and full-time to suit differing customer needs.

The Bristol & Wessex Aeroplane Club
The Bristol & Wessex Aeroplane Club can trace its origins to a public meeting held in the Victoria Rooms on 7th April 1927.
Flying began on 28th July 1927 at Bristol Filton with a newly acquired D.H.Cirrus Moth G-EBSN.
Bristol & Wessex Aeroplane Club moved into new accommodation in the main terminal building at Lulsgate on 13th April 1957 and the club have been on the airfield since then.
The club operates seven aircraft including a core training fleet of three Piper Cherokees and self-fly hire aircraft including a Cessna C172, a Cessna C182, a Diamond DA 40 and a Piper Seneca PA34 twin.
The club has nine instructors both male and female working part and full-time to suit differing customer needs.

Share Article